With all vertical segments hidden on the inside and all diagonal segments on the outside crossing at the middle of the shoe, the result looks like a “starburst”.
Lacing Technique – Variation 1 – for 3 or 4, 7 or 8 pairs of eyelets
• Begin straight across on the outside (grey section) and in through the middle eyelets.
(For even numbers of eyelet pairs, use the eyelets just below the middle).
• Both ends run straight down on the inside and out through the next lower set of eyelets.
• Cross the ends diagonally upwards, running under the middle section, then feed in through the next vacant set of eyelets up the shoe.
• Both ends run straight up on the inside and out through the next higher set of eyelets.
• Cross the ends diagonally downwards, running under the middle section, then feed in through the next vacant set of eyelets down the shoe.
• Continue running vertically on the inside and diagonally on the outside with progressively taller crossovers until lacing is completed.
• Variation 1 begins with the ends running straight down from the middle, and is for shoes with 3 or 4, 7 or 8, 11 or 12, etc. pairs of eyelets.
• Variation 2 begins with the ends running straight up from the middle, and is for shoes with 5 or 6, 9 or 10, 13 or 14, etc. pairs of eyelets.
Top opens wide
18% longer ends (approx.)
This lacing method, like most decorative methods, is more difficult to tighten. Luckily, this method has the advantage that the top is like a V-neck garment. Once the knot is untied, the top of the shoe can be opened wide to easily slip the foot in or out without needing to loosen or re-tighten all of the lacing.
Shoelace Lengths for Starburst Lacing
|Pairs of eyelets:||2||3||4||5||6||7||8|
|Length needed:||63 cm
Shorter shoelaces needed than those for basic Criss Cross Lacing.
Longer ends if existing shoelaces are re-used (+18% on average).
Starburst Lacing Feedback
The starburst has been working great for quick on off but on a wider shoe there's too much wiggle until I tighten to the point it defeats the wide opening purpose of starburst.
– Sam K., Jan-2018
If you'd like to send feedback about Starburst Lacing, please Contact Ian.
Rate This Lacing Method
Please only vote once – multiple votes are removed daily