Like Double Cross Lacing, this method is also created by running three steps forward, one step back. The result resembles a diagonal series of hash "#" symbols.
Lacing Technique – 8+ pairs, regular hashes, gap at top & bottom
• Begin straight across on the inside (grey section) and out through the bottom eyelets.
• Cross the ends on the outside and feed in through the set of eyelets three rows higher up the shoe (skip past two rows).
• Run both ends straight down on the inside and emerge through the next lower set of eyelets.
• Continue three rows up on the outside, one row back on the inside, finishing with the ends feeding under the sides and out through the top eyelets.
Harder to tighten
39% longer ends (approx.)
1 The standard method skips the second-from-top and second-from-bottom eyelets, which results in hash symbols of a consistent height and angle.
2 The top and bottom hashes can be "compressed" by skipping past only one row. This will result in a look that is less consistent but more dense, which will also use more shoelace. Shoes with an odd number of eyelet pairs usually require one or more irregular hashes.
3 The lacing can be split into two non-overlapping compressed hashes. Tall boots with 12 or more pairs of eyelets will fit three or more separate hashes.
Hash Lacing Gallery
PUMA Hypermoto Ducatis with Hash Lacing.
Hover over any photo to view details
Contribute a photo (via e-mail)
Shoelace Lengths for Hash Lacing
|Pairs of eyelets:||4||5||6 (a)||6 (b)||7||8 (a)||8 (b)|
|Length needed:||87 cm
Shorter shoelaces needed than those for basic Criss Cross Lacing.
Longer ends if existing shoelaces are re-used (+39% on average).
Hash Lacing Feedback
"I just wanted to let you know that I have since used your guidelines and laced my shoes with the hash lace. That is one crazy lacing pattern. Looks good on my skate shoes, which never need tightening because I don't skate (so I just keep 'em tied)."
– Sushi, Orange County, CA, USA, Jul-2004
Rate This Lacing Method
Please only vote once – multiple votes are removed daily